aidan

BMW and VW finish installing EV chargers along US coastlines

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:35 pm

This is what we are wanting! The automakers getting involved and offering us full service with convenience

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/13/bmw ... -stations/

SparkE

Re: BMW and VW finish installing EV chargers along US coastlines

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:36 pm

These 'fast' chargers are the 24 kW models that would take well over an hour to fully charge a 30 kWh battery pack. Useful as a range extender, not that useful to build an 'electric highway network' for BEVs. Personally, I don't want to have to stop every 90 minutes and wait an hour before I can continue my trip to L.A.

The pluses are that they are 'relatively' inexpensive (~$6K, not including install costs) and installable in a standard light industrial electric setup (like that in a dealership) without having to massively upgrade the electrical supply. (50+ kW chargers are expensive and can also require a massive electric upgrade.)

new2evs

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:41 am

SparkE wrote:These 'fast' chargers are the 24 kW models that would take well over an hour to fully charge a 30 kWh battery pack. Useful as a range extender, not that useful to build an 'electric highway network' for BEVs. Personally, I don't want to have to stop every 90 minutes and wait an hour before I can continue my trip to L.A.

The pluses are that they are 'relatively' inexpensive (~$6K, not including install costs) and installable in a standard light industrial electric setup (like that in a dealership) without having to massively upgrade the electrical supply. (50+ kW chargers are expensive and can also require a massive electric upgrade.)

Good info. So in short there would be a way to charge the battery but the trip itself would have very long periods of waiting

sam

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:55 pm

Well even just as a range extender they have value to a lot of people in the fact that it gives Peace of Mind knowing they're there

jimmyjon

Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:12 am

So in short to have complete convenience add around 6000.00 to your price tag

LAev

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:44 pm

jimmyjon wrote:So in short to have complete convenience add around 6000.00 to your price tag

Yeah I guess to purchase but still doesn't change the types of chargers being installed. I do think it is a step in the right direction

aidan

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:44 am

All in all it's a good plan and it's better than nothing

Return to “Batteries and Charging”