hstyles

Battery Taxonomy: The Differences between Hybrid and EV Batteries

Tue May 02, 2017 4:58 pm

This post is a little bit old but it seems like an interesting fact to share with the Ioniq EV forum.

The battery pack of an electrified vehicle isn’t just a fuel tank for its motors. It’s also a metaphorical fuel pump dictating the peak power that can be delivered to a motor. While electric vehicles require both range and power from the battery pack, hybrids require similar power with far less energy. Accordingly, the individual cells are optimized to deliver brief bursts of power in hybrids or long-lasting energy to maximize range for EVs. A plug-in hybrid’s battery pack straddles both priorities and lands somewhere in the middle. A battery’s output-to-storage-capacity ratio (what the industry calls its power-to-energy ratio, or watts per watt-hour) characterizes these differences.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/battery-taxonomy-the-differences-between-hybrid-and-ev-batteries/

splitmitten

Re: Battery Taxonomy: The Differences between Hybrid and EV Batteries

Wed May 03, 2017 5:48 pm

I never clued in that the Hybrid battery would be different than the all-electric I just assumed it was a smaller battery and smaller technology compared to a vehicle that's all electric good information for me to know thanks

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”