ginforce

Why electric cars are only as clean as their power supply

Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:49 am

Electric cars have never been closer to the mainstream, the market pushed ahead by California subsidies for electric car buyers, and a wide array of new models from established car firms such as Toyota and Chevy. Tesla’s focus on luxury, high-performance vehicles has also broadened their appeal; electric cars are no longer purely an environmental statement, but a tech status symbol too.

Yet the “zero emissions” claim grates on some experts, who have continued to argue over whether electric cars are really more environmentally friendly than gas guzzlers, once the manufacturing process for the vehicles and their batteries are taken into account.

Electric cars rely on regular charging from the local electricity network. The power plants providing that energy aren’t emission-free; even in California, 60% of electricity came from burning fossil fuels in 2015, while solar and wind together made up less than 14%.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-change

jimmyjon

Re: Why electric cars are only as clean as their power supply

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:33 am

This is so legitimate

JimmYK

Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:15 am

The battery making system isn't emission free but same goes for the batteries for gas/ petrol cars and they continue emitting but for electric cars that stops after production so it's way better.

citygirl

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:29 am

I had no idea it would still be this high. We need to come better ideas.
California’s electric vehicles can plug into a greener grid than most regions of the world – especially China, where coal generated 72% of all power in 2014 according to the International Energy Agency (IEA). The US gets about a third of its electricity from coal-fired power, IEA says, and more than 40% of total electricity worldwide comes from burning coal.

PluggedIn

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:26 am

That's a really interesting perspective. I wonder how the emissions compare in terms of a tank of gas and coal-generated electricity to travel the same distance. There's a picture on that site of an EV under a carport made of solar panels. Maybe that's the way to go... plug your car into its charging roof! (Only works well in a sunny place!)

DNAinaGoodWay

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 am

Every time I hear this theme I'm inspired to lobby for more renewable energy, more energy storage. Let's eliminate fossil fuels and develop cleaner storage technologies. We're an intelligent species, I'm sure we can do it.

citygirl

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 pm

DNAinaGoodWay wrote:Every time I hear this theme I'm inspired to lobby for more renewable energy, more energy storage. Let's eliminate fossil fuels and develop cleaner storage technologies. We're an intelligent species, I'm sure we can do it.

What comes to mind for me is solar energy for the areas that have large amounts of sunshine around the world. I know Tesla has done something with this but I am pretty new to EV's so don't know enough to comment right now on that. Solar for some areas would work really well and instead of the hybrid of electric energy and gas we could use solar energy and electric. I was also thinking about having the solar panels recharge the electrical battery as well but again I don't know too much about it , just a thought.

Return to “Off-Topic”