voltage

Vehicle owners tend to keep their cars for only 2 - 4 years

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 pm

An informal poll taken out of the UK where the Ioniq is in full swing shows that people plan to keep their Ioniq's for 2 to 4 years. This meant after the duration they would either upgrade to a newer version or if they weren't satisfied with the car get a new model and brand all together. My fear is we are using cars as a disposable item. No matter how you cut it that is not green. What happens when these are all electric cars. Will the duration increase? I'm thinking not really as the 2 - 4 years seems to match up beautifully with lease lengths.

PluggedIn

Re: Vehicle owners tend to keep their cars for only 2 - 4 years

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 pm

There always seems to be a market for used cars. I think most cars get worn out eventually by somebody...

SparkE

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:30 am

This is typical behavior for battery electrics of all makes, due to rapid change of technology (longer range and faster charging, for example) and very high depreciation (the 2013 LEAF lease returns are selling about 25% of their new price from 3-4 years ago).

aidan

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:26 pm

SparkE wrote:This is typical behavior for battery electrics of all makes, due to rapid change of technology (longer range and faster charging, for example) and very high depreciation (the 2013 LEAF lease returns are selling about 25% of their new price from 3-4 years ago).

Rapid change in technology is a good point. We know from past history that gas powered cars get reused over and over but the electric car section is having a hard time finding value in its used cars. Hopefully this will change as more people upgrade and good used electric cars are being offered

citygirl

Sun May 14, 2017 10:52 am

Most vehicles I've purchased are around 2 years old and tend to be lease returns. I like the idea that they've been maintained by the dealership and I love the fact that the vehicle is still reasonably new but I'm not payi the new car price.

meghb

Mon May 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Only 2-4 years? If the owner trades the car, the car depreciation will be worst, won't it?

Return to “News & Main Ioniq EV Forum”