aidan

Re: Hyundai Ioniq Electric: Sleek, spacious and an impressive 174-mile range

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:00 am

ioniqfan wrote:I'm seeing confusing reports about the range of the car. :roll:

I think until we actually drive the car we won't know for sure

JanTreur

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:57 pm

It will just vary for different drivers, as speed and driving style have much impact. For example, in my case most of my km's are in the range between 50 and 70 km/h, and sometimes on the highway where I prefer speeds not much higher than 100 km/h. So, my driving may not differ so much from the NEDC cycle in the European test, which gave a 280 km range as the outcome for a mild climate. If your speeds are a bit higher, maybe your pattern will be more close to the US EPA's test cycle, which gives 200 km range as an outcome. If you drive mainly around 50 km/h you may well go over the 300 km; somebody achieved 350 km in mild temperatures driving around 50 km/h. It just depends on your driving style and speed, and of course also on the temperatures.

ioniqfan

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:54 am

aidan wrote:

It's sad but I guess it's the truth!

JanTreur

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:59 am

This is an overview of reported experiences classified for speed and temperature (in km's but also in miles):

SparkE

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Thank you JanTreur for your interesting and useful posts. Much better than most of the posts on this forum, that seem to be from the same person using different logins (or automatic posting S/W, a 'spambot').

(I'm getting very tired of "gee . that's interesting" or "I never thought of that" or "Some people think that way" or "I agree" posts, whose single purpose is to just make the site look busy.)
Last edited by SparkE on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

citygirl

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:06 am

aidan wrote:

I agree. Sounds like time for a test drive :)

Gatedad

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:59 pm

The above chart was fascinating, if a bit confusing for me. Looking at it, seems as if the Ioniq EV can achieve a range of 150 miles at 65 MPH in 75 degrees F weather. Those are impressive numbers. From Bjorn Nylan's Denmark based videos, it appears to be a nicely equipped, medium range EV. Since we now know the US price, people can judge for themselves where this might fit into their budget and driving lifestyle. Honestly though, this is a legitimate contender for many people. I already drive a Gen I Volt, so if I need a long range car, the Volt covers that. But the Ioniq's range would allow me to travel from say Philly to NY City(assuming I can charge while there)or from Philly to Baltimore, MD with little worry. I do no more than 1 "long" trip per year, so this car could cover 99% of my driving needs. I like that the car has good heating for winter with minimal range reduction hit.

JanTreur

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:21 pm

The heating system is very powerful, it can take up to 7 kW for a few first minutes, but then the car is warm in no time (= 1 or 2 minutes). No ICE car can do that. To get it warm initially can take 4 km or 2.5 mile from your range. Better is to do preheating from the wall, then you don't have this reduction.

To maintain the temperature after that usually takes less than 0.5 kW, so 1 hour driving may cost you less than 0.5 kWh, which also takes 3.5 km or 2 mile from your range. But these numbers will be less when you set the interior temperature a bit lower.

Return to “News & Main Ioniq EV Forum”