JanTreur

Range of the Ioniq Electric vs speed and temperature

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:28 am

I collected the reported ranges (in km) for the Ioniq Electric I have seen up till now and put them in the scheme below given both in km and in miles, depending on the two main determinants of the range: temperature and speed.

If more experiences are reported we can replace more X's by numbers. For example, drivers from South Korea may provide input to fill the lowest row completely, and drivers in North-West Europe may have input for the highest rows. Please share your experiences with us (and indicate the average speed and the temperature).

Last update Dec. 23, 2016: added data from Bjorn Nyland's Winter Test Parts 1 and 2 at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG1QcV31eoSaX4rE8avQL4A.

Last edited by JanTreur on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 34 times in total.

JejuSoul

Re: Range of the Ioniq Electric vs speed and temperature

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:27 pm

Great idea to do a range chart at different speeds / temperatures.

Here is one more for your data set. - http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewto ... 658&p=5147

Jeju EV Rally - The winner was the IONIQ EV with a Fuel Economy of 12.1km/kWh (Max Hypermiling Range would be about 339km)
It would go in the 25-30C, and 60-80km/h position.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JanTreur

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks, I included it in the scheme above (I still can edit it). Nice idea, such an EV rally.

JanTreur

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:58 am

I added another number to the above scheme, 235 km in the UK.

P.S. You can also share an efficiency number (e.g., km/kWh or kWh/100 mi) for a trip, together with average speed and temperature. I can determine the range out of that, given the battery's capacity of 28 kWh.
Last edited by JanTreur on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JejuSoul

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:49 pm

If you want to extend your chart with faster speeds.
I estimate a range of 110km driving at 140-160 with temperatures 6-10C.

This data is from the trip made here - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73&start=50#p905
The Ioniq EV was driven fast to deplete the battery down as quickly as possible from 100% to 1%.
Not the normal usage, but worth putting on the chart.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JanTreur

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:44 pm

I added it. Thanks.

humungus

Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:11 pm

If the ranges stated in the table are accurate then I must say I'm impressed. I'm in the market for either the plug-in or the Electric, but with this kind of mileage I would be seriously tempted to go for the Electric. My daily commute consist of 44 (2 x 22) kilometers, all at 50 - 80 km/h speeds. [i]Even at low temperatures that would get me around most - if not all of the week. That would be more then enough for me, even when factoring in the inevitable decay of the battery over the years.

JejuSoul

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:10 am

humungus: yes this car will work really well for short commutes and normal driving speeds. Hyundai's marketing sometimes gives the impression that this car is a low budget version of a Tesla. It isn't.

I should have added a couple of comments to my last post about driving at 150km/h. This is not a car for driving long distances at very high speeds. You will get there quicker on a journey of 300km by driving at 120km/h, because you will only need to stop and recharge once not twice. More importantly the power needed for driving at 150km/h will really heat up the battery. For short bursts while overtaking, or because you're late for work one morning, that's fine. But regular driving at 150km/h will severely degrade the battery.

Return to “Hyundai IONIQ Reviews”