humungus

Re: Range of the Ioniq Electric vs speed and temperature

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:43 pm

JeJuSoul: That is my understanding too: By moderating speed the efficiency will increase and the battery will last longer. The table also seems to underline that. As for battery decay: The general consensus seems to be that it is best to avoid fastcharging if possible, which would be exactly my intention as I would mainly charge overnight in my own garage on a normal 240 volts outlet. It may well take all night to get the battery from full empty to fully charged, but then that wouldn't bother me as long as it is full in the morning.

JejuSoul

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:02 am

If the temperature is lower than 35C, and the car isn't already really hot, then I wouldn't worry about occasionally fast charging.
I fast charged quite a lot when I drove the Ioniq. - 1750km Test Drive in Ioniq Electric

For now the best data we have on how the Ioniq EV would behave while charging at very high ambient temps is by comparing with the Kia Soul EV.
Palm Springs Summer TMS Torture Test
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JanTreur

Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:26 pm

Today I updated the scheme by filling 3 cells for temperatures below the freezing point, based on data from Norway; see the updated opening post of this topic.

JejuSoul

Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:30 am

I too just watched the videos by TeslaBjörn. Wow! The car does really well in extreme cold.

https://youtu.be/04kfyrZBrAU

and

https://youtu.be/Oy79PZHXq04
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JanTreur

Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:27 pm

Yes, he had very bad weather on his return trip!

JanTreur

Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:30 pm

I updated the scheme by the numbers from Part 2. I also made a variant in miles.

JanTreur

Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:50 am

Now we have more numbers I tried to make an approximation by a computational model. The model assumes a linear dependency of range on temperature, and a dependency of range on speed that is a combination of linear and quadratic. For the latter part of the model, for higher speeds, such as 110 km/h, the quadratic part dominates by a factor 4 to 5 over the linear part, for lower speeds such as 50 km/h this factor is 1.5 to 2.

As our available population of cases shows a lot of variation, the model naturally deviates from these individual cases. For example, in some of the high temperature cases concerning the Jeju Island rally, a very good hypermiler was selected as driver, whereas in Bjorn Nyland's Winter Tests he did not try to drive in an economic way, and sometimes used the sporty mode, and besides, he had to fight very bad weather conditions in the second part of his trip.

Due to this variation over the different cases, the average deviation between model outcomes and reported data over all cases is about 20 km. Most of this average is determined by the most extreme cases. If two or three most extreme cases are left out (by considering them as socalled outliers), the average deviation between model outcomes and reported data becomes about 10 km, which seems not too bad. Below a comparison between reported data and model outcomes is shown. As you can see for 10 of the 13 cells the difference is around 10 km or even less, but for 3 of them (in red) the difference is more than 20 km. Still keep in mind that the model describes average drivers and circumstances, and extreme cases will not be approximated well.

JanTreur

Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:29 am

Based on this analysis some rules of thumb could be identified. For example, for the dependency on temperature such a rule of thumb could be:

"Every 10 degrees C lower in temperature will decrease the range by about 50 km"

For the dependency on speed a slightly more complicated rule of thumb could be identified:

"Around 50 km/h every 10 km/h increase in speed will decrease the range by 10 km, which worsens to a decrease in range of 20 km for every 10 km/h higher in speed around 100 km/h"

or

"A 10 km/h increase in speed will decrease the range in km by your speed in km/h divided by 5"

JejuSoul

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Making a comment from a short preview of your quadratic data.
The numbers for the slower speeds <80km/h look reasonable, we have quite a lot of real data for this.
The numbers for the faster speeds >120km/h look much too optimistic, we don't have enough real data for judging this yet though.
Great idea to do this!

JanTreur

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Yes, as soon as we have more data for these speeds, the model parameters may need some adaptation.

Return to “Hyundai IONIQ Reviews”