JejuSoul

Re: 1750km Test Drive in Ioniq Electric

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:55 am

I own and drive a Kia Soul EV. On that car I monitor the battery temperatures using Torque Pro. I drove an Ioniq EV for one week, and had fun. I did not spend any time reverse engineering or hacking the CANBUS. I have since heard that many of the PID codes from the Kia Soul EV also work on the Ioniq EV.

Hence this discussion about the Kia Soul EV probably also applies to the Ioniq EV, because I think it has an almost identical Climate System.

We also had a discussion about the battery heater last winter. There is still a lot of uncertainty about when the battery heater will come on. At what temperature, -20C ? And does the car need to be plugged in? All quotes from the thread Re: Battery degradation

Owner's Manual wrote:High Voltage Battery Warmer System
The high voltage battery warmer system prevents reduction of battery output when battery temperature is low. If the charging connector is connected, the warmer system automatically operate according to the battery temperature. Charging time may shorten compare to vehicles without the high voltage battery warmer system. But, electricity charge may increase because of high voltage battery warmer system operation. The high voltage battery warmer system operates when the charging connector is connected to the vehicle. However, the high voltage warmer system may not operate when battery temperature drops below -31°F (-35°C)

2soul wrote:I believe I saw this activated at -20C.. take this with a pinch of salt though, as I'm not 100% certain since we didn't have too many days below -20C, and I wasn't about to sit in a cold car to find out :)

notfred wrote:I think the leaf battery warmer kicks in at -21C and out at -5C. I've seen one day here where the temperature during the day was below -25C and my SoulEV lost 10kms of range sitting in the car park at work.

Elmil wrote:My logger has recorded one occasion when the battery heater operated in my car. It was at work in the evening and the car had been plugged in for a few hours at below -20C, just waiting for the pre-heating timer. The log shows that some of the 8 battery modules were at -1C, and the two heater temp sensor values increased from 0C to 18C in 8 minutes, at the same time all battery temps slowly got to or above 0C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nvcx2OxpeI

Have also seen a discussion on the Norwegian Forum where they talk about how some imported Soul EVs do not have heat pump / battery heater.
They state - "These vehicles lacking heat pump and the battery heater, yield inferior range and longer charging times in the winter."
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JanTreur

Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:01 am

I another forum (https://speakev.com/threads/hyundai-ioniq-electric-range.21219/page-3) I also asked for clarification about the capacity of the battery. Badger in Black runs a dealership for Hyundai. His information is as follows:

Badger in Black
>>> Jan Treur said: ↑
>>> I learnt elsewhere that the 28 kWh is the usable capacity of the battery. Total capacity is 31 kWh.

The spec I have on the battery says it is a 78Ah / 28 kWh Lithium Ion Polymer Battery composed of 12 modules with a total of 96 Cells and an output of 98kW.

Edd Beesley
Assuming a nominal 360V that's 28.08kwh.

Badger in Black
That is exactly what the nominal voltage is.

Do we have to conclude from this more detailed info that total capacity is 28 kWh and usable capacity is 90% of that, which is 25 kWh?

JejuSoul

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:26 pm

JanTreur wrote:.... Badger in Black runs a dealership for Hyundai. His information is as follows...

I am not interested in a flame war arguing the difference between rated capacity and actual capacity. Please don't try and start one on this thread. If you are genuinely interested then I suggest you learn for yourself by going to a site such as the US Advanced Vehicles Testing website. Start here https://avt.inl.gov/fuel-type/electric Pick a few cars and look at the Vehicle Specifications and Testing Results.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JanTreur

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:29 pm

For me the same; I am not interested in any war. I just want to know some things. I will check the reference you give.

JejuSoul

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:15 pm

The car I drove, and all the previous pictures in this thread have come from Ioniq EVs with the highest trim and full options.

The majority of cars I see on the street are the lowest trim level, without any options.
Some of the missing features include the battery heater, and the navigation screen.
It is really obvious in this trim that something is missing, but I guess most people think it is cheaper and easier to run your own navigation system.

There are a lot more Ioniq EV rental cars driving about this week. I assume they are part of the first batch of the 6000 recently ordered. Previously I had only seen cars with VINs up-to 1500. This week I am seeing them around 4000. My guess is that after the first 2000 were sold in Korea the next 2000 went to Europe. The next few months will all be for the Korean rental car market. All the rental cars I've seen are the lower trim as seen in the picture above.

goncalo

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:01 pm

Anyone have found a new interesting range test review?
Cold effect on the range ?

Thanks

JejuSoul

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:07 am

Some EV users here have begun testing the Torque Pro codes for Kia's Soul EV on the Ioniq EV.
Surprisingly almost all the BMS codes work. Despite the fact that Soul EV has a battery and BMS by SK Innovation, whereas the Ioniq EV has a battery and BMS by LG Chem.

The first simple test of this - Ioniq EV driven fast to deplete the battery down as quickly as possible from 100% to 1%.
60km = 150~160km/h , 40km = slowly... I guess around 20~30km/h

Then charged overnight back up to 100% SOC. The Screenshots are from Torque Pro - CED= Cumulative Energy Discharged, CEC= Cumulative Energy Charged.

Energy Counters at SOC 1%

Energy Counters at SOC 100%

=> usable pack capacity = 2982 - 2954 = 28kWh

JanTreur

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:39 am

Yes, this is good evidence concerning the battery capacity! Thanks for sharing.

JejuSoul

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:07 am

In November Hyundai sold 1,085 Ioniq Electrics in Korea. -- http://news.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=20161204000118
It's the first batch of the 6,000 rental cars ordered last month.
I'm already seeing a lot more of these rental cars around.
They are all the lower trim, without the radar, with a sunroof, and white.
After being used to the full size, touchscreen navi display having just a small screen for the back up camera is really disappointing.
The lower trim also has no battery heater. That is fine for Jeju Island, but would be a major handicap on the Korean mainland.
Perhaps the rental companies have to buy the higher trim for cars on the mainland.

Last edited by JejuSoul on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

JejuSoul

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:49 am

Here's a pair of Ioniq electrics driving on Jeju.
In reality of the 100's of Ioniq's I've seen driving here, I can count the combined number of red / blue / yellow ioniq EVs on the fingers of 1 hand.
Totals sales of the Hyundai IONIQ Electric upto November this year in South Korea - 2,565. see http://news.mtn.co.kr/newscenter/news_v ... 0574157825
More than half of those are on Jeju Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t88TbUziJLA
Last edited by JejuSoul on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hyundai IONIQ Reviews”