sam

Charging stations

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:06 am

It's important to get an open charge Point protocol for communication between EV charging stations and a central management Network much like our mobile phone Networks

aidan

Re: Charging stations

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:08 am

It takes some time to properly charge an EV right now and a lot of volts to speed up the process currently most charges are Level 2 and can be found with plugshare some are free some cost money for the electricity used and others cost per hour many are run by charging system that works such as chargepoint or SemmaConnect

meghb

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:16 pm

sam wrote:It's important to get an open charge Point protocol for communication between EV charging stations and a central management Network much like our mobile phone Networks

I agree. A lot of people don't want to buy EVs due to charging network problems.

sam

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:57 am

A statistic from 2013 stated that the US has over 20,000 charging stations. So I am sure that number is Much Greater by now

ginforce

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:04 am

Apps lay it out easily

aidan

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:58 am

Our hopes are that globally Ev's take over or at least hit mainstream capacity. Right now globally we are getting a lot of reports that infrastructure is a real mish mash. I would say the same is a possiblity for Canada and the US. Sure main cities in main Provinces or States are well equipped with reasonably priced charging and convenience but this is not the case in the UK. It causes some concern as Europe and the UK are farther ahead with the electric vehicle than we are and some of the problems outlined in the UK we are seeing in small factions here. Right now in the UK the energy and gas are running at almost equal costs. Once drivers add their charging memberships and cost of energy at the charging stations it is costing them more for electricity than for gas. They are finding there is a problem in non unified charging affiliates. Too many memberships have to be bought in order to have efficient charging options. Lastly, some of the charging stations are in totally inappropriate areas like in the parking lots of furniture stores. It is a clear reminder to us in North America to get a good handle on the charging station issues, unify them, make them convenient and cost effective before it becomes an out of control mess here as well

PluggedIn

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:50 pm

It's kind of a chicken and egg situation... it's hard to justify spending a lot of money on the infrastructure until there's a substantial use of electric vehicles... and people are reluctant to get into electric vehicles if the infrastructure isn't there! It would be helpful if provincial/state governments would offer more incentives to EV purchasers and provide a broad network of charging points, to address the issue from both sides at once.

splitmitten

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:51 am

Keep in mind that each State or Province is allowed to promote or encourage electric cars as they wish. If we could unify the nation or both nations things could move much quicker. I see a massive difference over the year that I have been getting involved with alternative transportation. In my area developers have to offer a minimum amount of charging stations per units built in new housing projects. Banks grocery stores movie theatres all have charging stations and at my local Costco last weekend I saw electric and hybrid vehicles everywhere which wasn' t the case last year. I'm not saying the charging stations that are going in are effecient or even suitable as I don't have the detailed information on them but at least they are there. I don't charge my vehicle yet and am not familiar with what I am looking at in regards to chargers but I do know there are more of them

PluggedIn

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:23 am

I think you live in one of the have provinces - as in, you have incentives available, and you also have infrastructure. Other provinces aren't as far ahead.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”